The Teamsters Dispatch Centre was set up many years ago to get our members who are laid off through lack of work or any other reasons working at different companies.
Throughout the years we have obtained full-time or part-time work for hundreds of members out of the hall. It has been very viable for the Union to have this dispatch centre. In the past members used to drive to the hall on Annacis Island to be dispatched to different jobs. Later, for the convenience of our members who had to drive far distances to wait at the hall for a job, we changed the system to a computer and telephone-based dispatch system. Members in the Lower Mainland who are laid-off or terminated from their Local 31 job can choose to continue paying the out-of-work dues of $20.00 a month. This enables them to go on the dispatch list for casual work through the hall. Members must come to the Local 31 head office and fill out a dispatch form. Their information will then be inputted into our secure dispatch computer system. If a member is available for dispatch he or she phones in to an automated system each day to register for work. Through the day, we will dispatch people; at the end of the day the system is cleared for re-registration. This saves our members the inconvenience of traveling to and from the dispatch centre and gets our members out to jobs more efficiently. Although the call-in system has been recently set up, for the last three years we have been doing telephone dispatch, which doesn't require a member to travel to the dispatch centre.
Look for the new phone registration dispatch system to take effect in the next month or so. If you would like more information about the system, please call Dispatcher Larry Sargeant at 604-527-2718.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUTOMATED DISPATCH SIGN-IN
The Union has reports that some casuals are experiencing difficulties using this program and as a result may not be added to the “Available for Dispatch” list. Therefore, please review and follow these instructions:
- Please dial 604-525-7277 between 1800 (6:00 p.m.) of the previous day and 0600 hrs of the day you are looking for work. Example: If you are looking for work on Monday, you would phone in after 6:00 p.m. (1800 hrs) on Sunday up until 6:00 a.m. (0600 hrs) on Monday to make yourself available for work on Monday.
- An automated voice message will answer and say, “Welcome to the Teamsters Local 31 automated dispatch. Please press 8 to continue.”
- You will be requested to enter your social insurance number followed by the number key (#). The number will then be read back to you to confirm that it is correct. Please note your SIN is secure and this is the means that the Union uses to identify each member. This information is already in our database.
- You will be requested to enter only one ten digit phone number where you can be reached at for dispatch. The telephone number will also be read back to confirm that it is correct.
- Please ensure that you stay on the phone line for the system to confirm your registration. This is very important. Some casuals are not waiting and are thus not being added to the “Available” list.
- You will be informed that you are successfully registered. You may then hang up.
- You must call in every day that you are seeking work, Monday through Friday. Those that call in Friday will be held Saturday and until 1800 hrs Sunday of each week. On statutory holidays you must still call in every day to be added to the list.
The Union has tested this program extensively and it works extremely well as long as the aforementioned instructions are followed.
If you are still having difficulties, please call 604-527-2705.
Thank you for your attention and cooperation.
More information see the full General Rules of Dispatch.